Hello,

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009, pavithran wrote:
> This is what I would like to do . I want to run firefox from a remote server .

This is not an accurate description of your problem! What you really
want is to access the internet via a remote computer (presumably
because your local internet access is filtered in some way).

> 1 . I need ssh -X access which rarely people give or firewalls allow :(

In any case, remote X uses up a lot of bandwidth as compared with
proxy web access.

> The other logical choice would be SSH tunneling where the browser
> stays in my own home machine while every data which firefox
> sends/recieves goes via the SSH tunnel which we create .

This is completely feasible.

 1. On the local machine you run
       ssh -f -q -N -D 1050 u...@remote
    This starts a SOCKS5 server which tunnels requests through the
    remote server.
 2. You then configure a local firefox profile to use a
    "SOCKS5 proxy" at 127.0.0.1 with port 1050. This local firefox
    will get all its requests through the tunnel.

Note that SOCKS5 does not solve the DNS lookup. So this firefox
profile will still use the local DNS server for looking up domain
names. To solve this problem you will need to run a DNS cache and use
that as your DNS server or run a web proxy at the other end of the
tunnel and point your firefox to that.

Regards,

Kapil.