> From: Arulalan T <tarula...@gmail.com>
> Subject: [Ilugc] anna univ affliated curriculum does not allow to do
>        5th sem proje in OpenSource, need help
> To: ILUG-C <ilugc@ae.iitm.ac.in>, tarulalan <tarula...@gmail.com>
>
> Hi to all,
>
> I am Arulalan . T doing Final year M.C.A in Saveetha Engg College ,
> Chennai.
>
> Now I am studying fifth semester.
>
> This semester we have " Software Project Management " ( Theory Paper ).
>
> For this subject having one lab, namely called , "  Software Development
> Lab " .
>
> In this lab, we have to do 10 small projects.

> I planned to do all the following syllabus projects using " Ruby On Rails
> ".
>

> But my Staffs are not supporting to do this semester projects in other
> Languages.
>
> They preferred only  " VB and ORACLE" , because they know that only.
>
> Even though I was fighted with them and finally, they said OK to do in RoR.
>
> But now my HOD is opposing to that.
>
> He s asking me, while doing "  University Practical Examination, the
> External examiner will not accept your projects means, what can you do
> ? " .
>
> what can i do ?
>
> Give me all your suggestions !
>
> and I need NRC FOSS support to do my 5th sem simple projects in Open
> Source(RoR).
>
> ( * they doesn't oppose to do my final semester projects in Open-Source *)
>
> How can i approach this problem?
>

> http://www.indiastudycenter.com/Other/Syllabus/AnnUniv/PG/MCA/MC1804-Software-Development-Lab.asp
>

> Syllabus of Anna University Chennai MCA - 2005 Regulation - MC1804
> Software Development Lab
> Develop Software using CASE tools for the applications like :
>
> 1. Online railway reservation system
>
> 2. Payroll processing application
>
> 3. Inventory system
>
> 4. Automating the banking process
>
> 5. Software for game
>
> 6. Library management system
>
> 7. Create a dictionary
>
> 8. Text editor
>
> 9. Telephone directory
>
> 10.Create an E-Book of your choice
> Software required:
>
> Languages: C/C++/Java/JSDK/Web browser.
>
> Any front end tool (like VB, VC++, Developer 2000) etc
>
> Any backend tool (Oracle, Ms-Access, SQL) etc.
>
> Any CASE tool
>
> ( * they preferred " Rational Rose " . I preferred " Umbrello " for CASE
> TOOL* )
>

> --
> நன்றி ,
>
> அருளாளன் . த

Hello Arulalan,

The University syllabus is not so specific that the students need to use Vb
and Oracle. You can choose your own choice. The final outcome is need to
complete the application.

Definitely  the External wont oppose the work done by the student
differently.  unless your HOD and staff didnt tell anything bad about you.

At the same time being final year student, dont have any quarrel with the
faculty and HOD, politely you can tell him the features of Open source.
Quote some of the colleges those who are really working on Open Source. Try
to convince them. If they are backing you definitely there will not be any
problem.

For this issue and all the NRCFOSS and the Univerity wont help as of now.
The problem to be sort out in the college itself.

Still most of the colleges not having much awareness on open source. The
faculty members are not minding to learn new things. ILUGC and NRCFOSS are
putting lots and lots of effort to take the open source in the academic
level. Without institution co-operation its very difficult to initiate.

If the management knows the cost factor definitely they suggest to go for
Open source tools. The management need some sort of IT advisors to suggest
open source otherwise the management doesnt know the happenings.

As  ILUGC member we are very happy to see the student doing their practical
work in RoR. You can spread the spirit to your classmets and juniors.

We are also using Umbrello, Python and MySQL for application development lab
(CASE Tools Lab) for VII sem B.E(CSE) and V sem B.Tech(IT). We are very
comfortable with this. Students also learning interestingly.

--
மா. குமரன்
kumaran...@gmail.com

"Only those who constantly retool themselves stand a chance of staying
employed in the years ahead."