2009/7/29 சிவகுமார் மா <masivaku...@gmail.com>:
> Google Search URL: http://www.google.co.in/search?q=ubuntu+static+ip+setting
>
> The answer: (second result) :
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/change-ubuntu-system-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address.html

> ===================
> open the /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
>
> If you are using DHCP for your primary network card which is usually
> eth0, you will see the following lines
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> As you can see, it’s using DHCP right now. We are going to change dhcp
> to static, and then there are a number of options that should add and
> here is the example and you can change these settings according to
> your network settings.
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.1.100
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.1.0
> broadcast 192.168.1.255
> gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> Restart the neworking service using the following command
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
> UnQuote

You don't need to follow such a newbie unfriendly process these days.
Simply right click on NetworkManager, edit your interface e.g. eth0
and change IP to static and give the IP. All done without the need to
touch any config files or go to CLI.

--

I thought YOU silenced the guard!  -
http://kingsly.net/tmp/fortune.php/1248709039