> I must warn you that compiler design is a difficult topic which needs
> lots of time and guidance.  You could spend many years on this subject.

           I dont want to exactly optimize the code.I just want to
highlight the piece of code where the programmer can optimize.I
studied a module in Infosys campus connect program about "algorithm
design" and there they listed a series of techniques to follow when
coding (Like the one below).

      Just like this,
              for( i = 0 ; i < ( j/ 100) ; i++)
              {
                    //bla bla
              }
     If i execute this each time ( j/100 ) is calculated and takes
more amount of time.
     Instead of this,If i follow this,
              k = j /100;
              for( i = 0 ; i < k ; i++)
              {
                    //bla bla
              }
     Here j /100 is calculated only once and the execution time
reduces automatically.So i want to highlight these kind of places in a
code.

    So if the compiler optimizes all these codes then why should one
follow these techniques.So my idea is i should have lot of code
optimization templates (Templates can be added in future if anyone
founds a new technique) and my project should search the code for
these kind of places with the help of those templates.If it find
anyone then it should highlight the entire line and give a hint
message.The user cn use it or ignore.

> There's a vast body of theory behind compiler optimization -- trees,
> control graphs, basic blocks, code invariants, dead code elimination,
> loop optimizations, array traversal optimizations, intermediate code
> generation, peep-hole optimization, machine specific optimization,
> etc. which need to be carefully understood before attempting to build
> a code optimizer.

             I hope for my idea i dont need to learn all these
things.If i need to do then i m ready to learn.(not years but months
;-))

yours,
    Bala.K.M.--- I love UBUNTU.....
visit me at http://infoqueue.wordpress.com