On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Girish Venkatachalam
<girishvenkatacha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course I await the day when tar(BSD and GNU) embraces this great
> technology.

Does it have to? A few people I know over IRC still do a
gunzip foo.tar.gz | tar -xvf or
bunzip2 foo.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf

I am a relatively modern linux user (circa 2002) and I use
tar -xzvf *.tar.gz or tar -xjvf *.tar.bz2

I do not think the fact that tar did not have a x or j flag back then
hurt.

Also, some distro uses 7zip as one of its package compression options.
I think I
saw gentoo using it for its portage snapshot but I am not sure. Also an age old
distro like slackware included it in Slack13 (LFY this month)

(*
As a side quote,
cat went to UCB and came back waving flags :P
*)

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham