Has anybody in this group tried to port Linux into a phone?
I bought an IPhone clone from the bazaar to experiment.

>From a Bluetooth link from my laptop to the DUN (Dial up networking) profile
of the phone, I was able to get the following details through the standard
modem AT commands-

   - The phone has a MTK2 chipset.
   - The firmware version is
   M5120_NEWMMI_CQ_SW_EN_FR_TH_PU_SP_GR_IT_TU_RU_HINDI_MA_IN_AO2
   - Build Time 2009-09-24 17:23

The MTK2 is made by a Taiwanese company and I did not get any replies from
them to my queries even for the AT command list. MTK is a large (top 20)
semiconductor company. Googling shows that the MTK2 has an ARM9 core. The
phone most probably runs a Nucleus OS.

I am not much interested in the phone function (will be a great bonus if it
works). I want to use the touch screen (240x320), mic, speaker, memory card
and Bluetooth from inside Linux. The camera is very bad and it's not much of
an use for my application. At Rs.3,250/- it's simply a miracle of Chinese
production technology. It has got an IMEI number and an Airtel sim works
fine, but I don't know it's authenticity. I guess if I don't use the phone
function, I would be legally safe...

Google searches did not help much because nearly all good links were Chinese
and even the translations just sent me into circles.

Any experiences or pointers?

Regards,
Arun

--