hi,
We are trying to make a NAT box ready. setup will be something like
this - a gateway kind of computer (NAT box) is connected to the
internet and 4-5 five other computer is connected to this NAT box
through a switch.

we intend to access the internet from the computers connected to NAT
box and do some basic stuffs like browsing, ftp download, voip (sip,
h323), peer-to-peer file sharing etc..

searching the net, we managed to add the following masquerading rule
after enabling ip forwarding:
/sbin/iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o eth1 -s 192.168.100.0/24 -d
0/0  -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j MASQUERADE

after adding this rule we able do basic HTTP browsing.

NAT box is connected to internet through a switch which also has
another test server where the ftp server is running. when we try doing
ftp from the internal computers to the ftp test server we face
problems. when we use command like "ls", "mget", etc.. we were getting
"port illegal" error. internet searches pointed to active and passive
mode issues in ftp. though i understand this active and passive stuff,
we are unable to determine the exact iptable rules to be added in the
NAT box. internet search also says about this ALG ip_conntrack_ftp
which needs to be loadded. what we need is, clarity about the rules to
be added and the modules to be loaded in the NAT box so that ftp (both
active and passive mode) starts working. we also understand the
potential security issues and would like to address that too.

regards,
naren

--
All generalizations are false.