Hi Zico,
I guess you know already that increasing the swap space doesn't
increase the performance of your system dramatically as it is just a
part of the hard disk though it may act as RAM. But there is a limit
to the amount of swap you can use above which the extra space is not
used. This is I think twice the RAM capacity. So if you seriously
think of improving your performance then try investing in a bigger
RAM.

On 12/15/09, subhojit ojha <subhojit.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>    i don't know how to increase swap space in debian, but i can guide u for
> RedHat Linux..
>
> 1. check the status of ur swap by ( swapon -s )
> 2.create one partition with swap id ( size- according to ur requirements )
> 3.Make ur swap off ( swapoff -a)
> 4.mkswap -L  swap1  /dev/sda7 ( here -L option for label, and the labelname
> is swap1, /dev/sda7 is the new swap partition which is going to be added )
> 5. put entry in /etc/fstab like this:
>   LABEL=swap1       swap1         swap         defaults          0 0
> 6. save it, refresh /etc/fstab
>      mount   -a ( to refresh /etc/fstab)
> 7.make swap on ( swapon -a)
> 8. check status ( swapon -s)
> this will display two partion in ur swap space with different priority
> number.
> 9. give ( free ) command to check ur swap space
> 10. for MB, use ( free -m)

Harish.R.

http://openview-harish.blogspot.com

Don't design your character as a garden where everyone can walk
Design it as the sky where everyone will aspire to reach