On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM, L.Guruprasad <lgp171...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I use Ubuntu 9.10 on my HP Pavilion dv9704tx laptop and I have been
> facing an issue with alsa. Everytime I start the computer, the audio
> doesn't work but when I manually force-reload alsa, the volume control
> gets muted and on raising the volume, the audio works.With some help on
> ubuntuforums(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8704925), I found
> that this issue could be an issue when there are multiple alsa devices
> and the order gets mixed up. When I did a aplay -l,
> I get this
>
> <snip>
> g...@guru-laptop:/etc/init.d$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> g...@guru-laptop:/etc/init.d$ arecord -l
>
> </snip>
>
> Does this mean this is an issue due to multiple alsa devices and their
> ordering? And is it correct to have the same card number 0 for sound
> device and modem?
>
> Hi Guruprasad,

Yes, i encountered the same problem few months back. The following command
works for you :) , and it configures also alsamixer so no need of manual
work.

 alsasound start

In my case the following command did the work,

 /usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start

And add this to the start-up script so your sound will work fine every boot
:)

Saravanan Sundaramoorthy
SSN College of Engineering
Red Hat Certified Engineer