On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Arun SAG <saga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Balaji Damodaran <damodaran.bal...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>

>> >1) Practically, it doesn't make sense to call it GNU/Linux or for that
>> >matter GNU/FreeBSD etc. It is awkward. Saying it Linux is easy - thats
>> >all **people want**.
>>

> Jumping off the roof and killing yourself is easy than facing day to day
> problems of life :-)

It doesn't fit in the context of the discussion at all and I've
absolutely no clue how you think that these two are comparable. But
seriously - do you really think killing oneself is that easy?
apparently I did my market research and found out that it is not.

>> >2) **People want** a Operating System to use, not the ideological baggage
>> >around it.
>>

> **People want** -- It seems like you have done some market research :P

well yes. Try convincing a person who tried linux, said it sucks and
went back to windows just because it didn't play his/her pirated mp3
songs and avi movies off-the-shelf or because he/she couldn't play
their favorite video game, about freedom and RMS and his ideology and
why microsoft is evil.or just google for 'linux disadvantages' to come
to reality.

I find it very hard to convert a person to use linux as his/her host
OS. Mind you, they are really good developers. The  moment you say
that you need to type a command that goes like "sudo apt-get install
foo" - they just frown. They'll eventually get to know the terminal
and some may even end up liking linux, but the point to note is that
some like to change, some don't. And they DO appreciate linux as their
development environment, but it just doesn't fit their choice as a
desktop os.

That will be a whole different thread all together. linux desktop OS
share is a still scanty little 1%. (excluding millions of enterprise
linux servers)

Shouldn't our focus be on improving the UX of linux and reach out to
the masses? Will forcing people to call the OS as GNU/Linux address
this problem?

I believe we have a bigger problem to solve, Linux is still niche.
Meant for those who know code. RMS is god - emacs, FSF, GNU are his
legacy. Take a bow, but I don't think his childish behavior is helping
at all.

>> >I just checked Fedora and openSUSE home pages, they call their distro
>> >as a 'Linux-based' operating system. Thats 2 of the top 3 distros.
>>
>> >While we are at this topic, I wonder what people will say for Ubuntu.
>> >IMO, the world as we know it, is slowly forgetting the word 'Linux'
>> >(accept it or not, apart from RMS fanboys, nobody says GNU/Linux) and
>> >moving to call it as 'Ubuntu'.
>>

>  Well, If you remove GNU from 'Linux', Eventually everyone will forget the
> whole reason behind the development of the operating system.

And why is it important that they *should* know the history of an OS?
Does Microsoft insist that whoever buys windows should know that the
first DOS was written by Bill Gates and his reason behind development
of OS --> A computer in every home.

See, Ubuntu is the most *user friendly* OS, IMO. They don't even
mention that their OS is based on Linux in their homepage. Few
iterations down the line, the won't even claim that they're a linux
distro.

Android, Chrome OS are based on Linux kernel (I guess google knew
which one is difficult to start from scratch)

Does Linus go around shouting foul about Ubuntu, Android, Chrome OS (yet)?

I rest my case.