On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<law...@thenilgiris.com>wrote:

> On Saturday 17 July 2010 13:10:10 senthil raja wrote:
> > >  continuity - IIT has a staff member in charge so we are assured that
> the
> > > list
> > > will continue until he retires - and I am sure he will nominate some
> one
> > > to continue it. I have seen in other LUGs where some person hosts the
> > > list - continuity is dependent on the person. IIT Madras will not fold
> > > up.
> >
> > For your information, the offer did not come from a single
> > person.(student/staff). CSMIT offered to host it and CSMIT, in its 30
> years
> > of operations, has seen many staff in-charge and student officials retire
> > and the events it had supported has only increased and never
> discontinued.

ok - I stand corrected and apologise if your feelings have been hurt

> > > Also I work in MIT and am aware of the miserable
> > > connectivity and bandwidth it has.
> >
> > FYI, the servers of csmit.org(for that matter, mitindia.edu) are in USA,
> > maintained by Dreamhost, one of the best hosting company in the world.
>
> I was under the impression that it is one of the worst in the world. And I
> do
> not think a LUG mailing list should be hosted in USA. But anyway, that is
> beside the point as there is not going to be an official tamil list.
> >
> > > Further I do not know whether the people
> > > who have offered to host are staff or students. If they are staff, I
> have
> > > no
> > > problem with it as there will be continuity - but if they are students,
> > > there
> > > is no way they can guarantee continuance after they leave.
> >
> > Again, its not single person who offered it. The offer was made by the
> > chairman on behalf of CSMIT. I'm its chief executive and assure that
> offer
> > was made with full support of the board of Directors.

I guess there is no need for separate list for Tamil. One exists already
started by Mugunth - the creator of e-kalappai.

http://groups.google.com/group/freetamilcomputing

Great People are already there discussing about Tamil, FOSS related Tamil.
Please join there and contribute.

Lets not reinvent the wheel.

- balachandar muruganantham
எனது தமிழ் பக்கங்கள் - http://www.balachandar.net/pakkangal
950 INR/Pa;1 GB; 10 GB bw/mo; unlimited domains; LAMP support, Ruby on
Rails, MySQL; cPanel - http://www.vazhangi.com
.in domains @ 99 INR - http://domains.vazhangi.com