On 07/19/2010 12:46 AM, openbala wrote:
> One news worthy event that happened on July 17th is that, the licenses
> of DLR (dynamic language runtime), IronRuby and IronPython has changed
> from MS-PL to Apache-2[1]

Yes, this is indeed a good move but one must understand the core
technologies it relies on are still not under a open source license.  If
Microsoft chooses to release it under a license like Apache which
includes explicit patent grants,  then it would resolve the patent debate.

> Microsoft so far hasn't pounced on Mono like they did with SalesForce.
> Infact, Miguel got the Microsoft MVP award in 2010.

See the history of the MP3 or GIF format to understand why this is not a
assurance at all.

> About the profitability and adaptability of Mono, this might be a
> totally different thing, looks time Mono is at least claiming that it
> is being well adopted [3]. I guess Ubuntu still ships with Tomboy
> Notes installed (not sure) which means that they aren't gravely
> concerned. Not sure about Fedora, as I used only Fedora KDE.

Being well adopted and profitable are two different things.   Fedora
does not include any mono apps by default.  What is included is Gnote,
Shotwell etc.  Ubuntu is replacing F-Spot by Shotwell in their next
release.  I would also note that Beagle has become unmaintained and the
latest release of openSUSE replaces it by Tracker.    The amount of
adoption seems to be getting lower in fact.

Rahul