2010/8/5 Zico <mailz...@gmail.com>:
> 2010/8/5 சிவகுமார் மா <masivaku...@gmail.com>
>

>> The dreaded question! When is the last backup you have taken?
>>

> Last week!

I guess Input/Output error implies that your partition is damaged :-(.

Do you have any automatic backup of db in some other partition? Or are
you storing log files in some other directory?

I could not think of any other way you can get the data back, others
may have better ideas.

What kind of application and what data you have in the db? Is it
feasible to load the last week's backup and inform users to enter data
for the past week?

(I normally install from source /usr/local/pgsql and have a cron
script taking backup of db every hour and store in /home (/home and
/usr/local are in separate partitions). In production servers, we also
put a USB device to backup db every hour. Both these overwrite the
previous backup.
If your db data partition is lost, you will atleast have an hour's
early backup to rebuild.

Once in a day, the backup is copied to another directory with date in
the file name. If the hourly backup file is corrupt, you will have a
one day old backup to work with.)

Ma Sivakumar
எல்லோரும் எல்லாமும் பெற வேண்டும்
http://masivakumar.blogspot.com