(x-posted to COCC, ChennaiRb and ILUGC)

Hi Folks,

Chennai has excellent groups like Chennai OCC, ILugC and
Chennai.[rb|py]. But what I found missing was a forum to have talks on
technology without being focussed on a single topic. We are living in
the best of times. We have tools and the computers that allow a single
person to create solutions that took teams of several individuals to
build. Also, as one becomes better at the craft, they tend to use the
right tool for the right job. In the future, I see that there is a
need for more polyglot hackers. The lines between the typical roles
such as Programmer, DBA, Sysadmin and QA are blurring. Earlier each
used to have separate tools and there was not much overlap. However,
in the current state, DBAs need to learn Javascript to work with
MongoDB and CouchDB. SysAdmins have to learn Chef or Puppet to create
recipes. QAs have to learn Selenium, Cucumber, RSpec and other test
suites and Programmers have to dabble with scripted tools like RVM and
virtualenv. There is a great convergence of these roles leading to my
favorite role - "The Passionate Hacker". This site is dedicated to
such passionate hackers who are willing to advance the craft.

I would want this group to foster the hacker spirit that is essential
to create just about anything. Although, I am biased towards open
source technologies, I do believe that people in the .NET camp should
have their fair share of excitement. They are welcome here as well.

This group is open to anyone who would like to pursue the exciting
craft of building software. I have also setup a ChennaiGeeks.com
Facebook Group[1]. To start with, I would like to catalog all the tech
talks happening on various fora. I also take this opportunity to
invite bloggers to contribute technical content for this blog. It
could be on anything as long as it relates to technology.

So long. Keep hacking. You know I will.

[1]: http://bit.ly/fb-chennai-geeks

Regards,
Vagmi Mudumbai
http://blog.chennaigeeks.com

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
deficiencies." C.A.R. Hoare.