Hi all,

> I would think that's because nobody is learning perl anymore. These days
> only old perl programmmers exist. That's because in this age of quick cpus,
> fast net connections, and UIs for everything from network configuration to
> backup tools, there is no real reason to learn perl. Especially since the
> advent of easier and altogether more fun languages like python.

Yes exactly. Python is a good choice if one is going to start learning
programming.
Infact  many institutions (like MIT) have made Python as defacto
language to introduce fundamentals of programming
for
eg:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-189-a-gentle-introduction-to-programming-using-python-january-iap-2008/

>> i heard that Perl is toughest language and it take long time to understand
>> (Ex:some yrs) is it How far is it true ?

its not tough to learn. bu then its easy to write sphagettic code.
sometimes u might be surprised to look at ur own perl program and
unable to understand.
> It is very true. In fact even after years of toil when you become a perl
> monk it takes a long time to understand perl code (Ex:some yrs) :D
yes. reading others perl code to understand the flow is very difficult
 in perl. python addresses this limitation effectively which is
important in the long run when developing programs into  applications.

> Seriously though, my personal opinion is perl is a _very_ easy language to
> _learn_, although becoming proficient at it will take a long time (as an
> aside: you would also need to sacrifice the notions of clarity, beauty and
> ultimately sanity, to become /really/ good).
>
> If you *really* want to learn perl, my recommendation is first learn to
> script in bash[1], because it is only when you see why perl was born will
> you be able to appreciate it. Once you've done that you can pick up the
> camel book[2] which is the best book IMHO to get started.
Well one does not need to know anything abt programing to start with
python. So if u havent programmed earlier, then give python a try- its
definitely worth fun.

regards,
KM