On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Vamsee Kanakala <vkanak...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 November 2010 09:16 PM, Prawin K wrote:
>
>> So, I suggest the mentors, to start a blog for themself (for mentorship),
>> list out the link urls, useful books and other resources in internet about
>> the technology, which help the students to self start. And after having
>> some
>> basic knowledge, the students can do small codings and then personally
>> contact the mentors.
>>

> Dude, I don't mean to sound nasty, but let's get this straight, you mean
> you're not even willing to do something as simple as "dear classmates, what
> are you interested in, and what do you need?" and post it online? So we have
> to guess what you might need to get started with and put it all up? Who's
> doing the asking here, exactly?
>
> How exactly do we know how much you can find online through simple
> googling, and where exactly do we have to step in to help you? Suppose, I
> know Ruby/Rails. So how do I know if people are even interested in knowing
> more? And which part of it?
>
> Sorry for getting ranty, but this attitude is what pisses me off. I've been
> a student before, when there aren't even (local) forums like these to ask
> and learn. You're saying you can't even edit a wiki and *ask what you need*
> in a structured way. So what is it that you couldn't find info about? Ask it
> now, and you'll see how you'll get the answers. Go ahead. And FYI, something
> woozy like "whole student community will be grateful to you" is nonsense. I
> would be happier if I know just one good student benefited in a measurable
> way from my time spent. If you want help, do your homework, and then come to
> us.

The solution is to create a working environment within the college
itself...  an intranet webserver running within the computer lab..  a mail
server .. a POP3 server..   a local wiki, which collates knowledge from
students..  an intranet forum..  all these at one stage connected to wiki..

So if such a working environment is created within college, students should
have to learn to use these..

Secondly, students should be encouraged to try new applications/ new
initatives for the college use..

Colleges have 8 Mbps bandwidth..  and if properly used, students can publish
their own website within their lab servers..

We have to train students to think practically..  The benchmark for any
initiative/application is how far it is well received among the users..

Regards,
Senthil