Hi,

On 12/13/2010 08:44 PM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Some findings and discussions have lead to this conclusion that some
> manufacturers have been duped into allowing there acpi code to be compiled
> by m$ compiler

You got it a bit backwards. From the ACPI wikipedia entry:
In computing, the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)
specification provides an open standard for unified operating system-centric
device configuration and power management. [...snip...] The standard was
originally developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Toshiba ...

and then right there in the first section itself ...

Some software developers have trouble implementing ACPI and express concerns
about the requirements that bytecode from an external source must be run by the
system with full privileges.[5] Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux kernel,
once described it as "a complete design disaster in every way", in relation to
his view that "modern PCs are horrible".[6]

So, it is not like acpi has to be /compiled/ with a M$ compiler (I am not even
sure what that is supposed to mean). It is more like ACPI has to be
/implemented/ using a 600 page specification designed by M$, which almost
necessitates the acpi subsystem to include an entire freaking 'parser' as a
driver[2] if one wants to use it as intended.

Of course, as is M$'s nature, their idea of a specification is stuff that
others
ought to implement although they are free to make exceptions and since h/w
manufactures are happy just confirming to the M$ subset of the specifications,
implementations that do actually confirm to the specification still might not
work as expected. ...sigh.

cheers,
- steve

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface