On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would suggest you familiarize yourself with LDAP concepts (O'Reilly
> title on openLDAP covers the basics) before jumping into
> implementation.  This is critical to help you plan your Directory Tree
> structure.
>
> openLDAP, Apache DS,  389 DS (Fedora) are some of the implementation.
>
> > one company. Should we use an existing server to host it from or acquire
> > new VPS for it? Alternatively if we are going to be paying for many
> > commercial VPS's we might want to consider colocating one of my servers.
>
> (a) How many user entries in your Directory Server?

Well I don't have a directory server outside of Crowd which is only
currently used for JIRA. I have about 5 or so users for the email systems
and most other systems have 2 users - root/admin and 'zico' as a
non-priviledged account. I may have contractors coming and going for certain
jobs and I would like to be able to add and remove permissions as needed
from one place.

(b) How many systems (*nix/Mac OS X) will bind with your LDAP server?

In terms of physical machines 2 or 3, in terms of services the ones I listed

> (c) How many MS systems (MS Domain) will bind with your LDAP server?

None

> These are some of the questions you need to answer to engineer your
> LDAP server(s).
>
> To distribute the connections, I would suggest configure multiple LDAP
> servers (running on guest OS in Virtual Machines) with
> replication/sync between them.

I appreciate the need for redundancy but I'm a bit short of RAM on the
office
machine at the moment,

Okay, if I set up a clean new VM inside the office network and
access to it is that the best way to proceed?

--
Best,
Zico