On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Roshan George <ros...@arjie.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I'm running Debian 4.0 on a VPS. Yesterday, I had this problem where
> more than two-thirds the available RAM was taken without any programs
> running. RAM use was at around 700 MB _after subtracting cache/buffers_
> but adding up the memory use of all the processes in `ps aux` would only
> reach about 150 MB at maximum.
>
> Is it possible that a program I was running earlier had memory leaks? If
> so, how would I go about fixing this without rebooting the server and
> how can I identify which program exactly is causing this? I have the
> source for none of the likely culprits.

When I cause a memory leak I know what to do. top is good enough for me.

I never use valgrind of any of the profiling tools.

In your case I wonder what is going on.

The only big memory hog I have seen the 7z program from p7zip or
the firefox browser which does not use up half as much.

Other than that what you report is quite weird.

I know that Linux has various kinds of bugs but never seen or heard what
 you are saying.

Perhaps it is something wrong with your setup?

Just guessing.

-Girish

--
Gayatri Hitech