Hi,

I had posted this to the JUG-Chennai list too and thought this might be
interesting discussion in this list too as there are quite a few people with
knowledge of licensing here. Any comments, suggestions or work arounds
please?

Sun/Oracle does not allow you to package the FX runtime along with your
desktop application. Web start will download it from
http://dl.javafx-rt.com/ automatically. I am intending to make a desktop
application with JavaFX and it will be distributed in a CD/DVD to thousands
of subscribers. In todays' broadband era, it is not too difficult nor the
end users are going to complain much. But... What if Oracle decides to pull
the plug on JavaFX and brings down the dl.javafx-rt.com/ site?? I cannot
distribute my applications anymore! This is unacceptable and seems stupid
and selfish by Sun/Oracle. How do they expect developers to use JavaFX with
such restrictions?

My existing JavaFX projects were custom developed for a TV channel and we
gave the entire setup as a service and hence never thought about the
licensing issues. Now that I have to develop a mass distributed product, I
have a gut feeling I invested time and effort in the wrong technology... :(

Regards,
Arun