Kumar volunteers to give a talk on GPG and security for June month meet.

Thanks Kumar.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kumar Appaiah <a.ku...@alumni.iitm.ac.in>
Date: Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Subject: Talk abstract and bio: GPG and security
To: tshriniva...@gmail.com

Dear Shrinivasan,

Here is my talk abstract and bio:

Talk: Public/Private cryptography with the GNU Privacy Guard

Authentication and security have always been important aspects in
deploying electronic communication and storage solutions. With
electronic communication becoming more ubiquitous and data storage
increasingly becoming cloud based, the need to secure data when using
these services is of utmost importance, there are tools which enable
users to take control of security into their own hands.

I will talk about the need to secure our data, and describe the basic
concepts behind public/private key cryptography, signing data,
encrypting data, and using GnuPG along with key pairs to perform all
these functionalities. I will cover the concepts more than cover the
tool itself; I will point to better documentation on how to use the
tools. The hope is that the documentation should be much easier to
follow when all the jargon I talk about is clear.

Expected talk duration: 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Speaker: Kumar Appaiah is a Ph.D. student of Electrical and Computer
Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, USA. Earlier, he was
a student of Electrical Engineering at IIT Madras, during which he
would regularly attend in ILUGC meetings and participate in some LUG
activities (like GNU Linux Vidyashram).

His primary interests in the FOSS world are free and open source tools
for design and implementation of digital signal processing and
communication systems. He occasionally contributes patches and
maintains packages for the Debian project.

--
Kumar Appaiah

--
Regards,