From: Raman.P <raam...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject: [Ilugc] Project Laptop -TN
To: "ILUG-C" <ilugc@ae.iitm.ac.in>
Date: Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, 3:45 PM

There is a serious discussion going on about the free laptops and what it
should(/not) contain. As per tender specification it will certainly have Linux.
I am sure the version the vendor will load will be bland -devoid of most
educational tools. I think whatever may be our effect in fighting proprietary
software in this venture - success or failure, we can do a positive
contribution.

My idea is to create tool/cd/whatever_we_call_it which can add good educational
software and material on these laptop. It can have free materials like books,
wikipedia pages etc. It should be very simple for anybody to install it.

I have created a wiki page for it.

http://wiki.ilugc.in/index.php?title=Tn_laptop_package

We can start the actual packaging work only on knowing which distro will be
loaded and about the specification of the laptop. So we can start discussing
what packages to install and specification for creating a tool which will
install them all in a single click.

Raman.P
blog:http://ramanchennai.wordpress.com/