On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Roshan George <ros...@arjie.com> wrote:

> I've got a terrible problem. After reading up on `sudo` and looking at
> archived emails on [debian-user], I came to the conclusion that a nice
> way of having multiple admins on my server is to use `sudo` to give them
> powers and then lock the root user.
>
> Unfortunately, on Debian this leads to a deadly situation. In the event
> of a failed fsck, Debian gives you the bog standard, "Enter root
> password to continue (or press Ctrl-D)" message. The problem is that the
> root user is locked. There is simply no password. `Ctrl-D` just restarts
> the OS.

I always profess, not to change the "admin" philosophy of the
distribution.   I suspect this idea came from Ubuntu wherein the
"first" user essentially is the root user except that s/he has to
prefix "sudo"

> To make it worse, this computer is a VPS running on VMWare, hundreds of
> kilometres from me. The set up being fairly unusual, the sysadmins
> aren't sure what to do. They can get to the bootloader, but can't mount
> the drive elsewhere (limitation of the VMDK format) or do anything of
> that sort.

Raja's method should help you recover/reset the root password.   I
have never done it on a remote server or VPS.

I disagree, that VMDK cannot be mounted anywhere else.  Linux KVM does
recognize VMDK v3/4 as well as VBOX VDI disk image formats.   With
access to the VMWare disk image file (on a local machine), you can use
Raja's method to reset the root password.   You can also boot a VM
with a SystemRescueCD along with the image file and change the root
password the brute force way.

> Any advice would be appreciated. I'm having that horrible sinking
> feeling right now.

No worries - just be calm, come up with a strategy and I am sure
things will work out.

Success of the suggestions will depend on the competency of the VPS
providers tech support.

Unless this is a production server, if all else fails you can refresh
the VPS image I suppose.

My two cents.

--
Arun Khan