On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM,  <s...@ccmb.res.in> wrote:
>
>> on WAN it should be resolvable to two same host name of peter.alex.com and
>> xavier.alex.com using
>> same WAN IP of 127.242.116.226.
>
> Two different FQDNs resolving to a single IP is allowed in BIND9.
> How the FQDNs get resolved depends on your BIND configuration.
>
>> If it is achievable, kindly share your valuable thoughts with me.
>
> Suggest you read up BIND docs, configure it and test all the perms and
> combos of FQDNs before you start using the server in conjunction with
> Apache.

+1. Read up BIND docs. There is a feature called split horizon
configuration where the zone lookup is done based on the
subnet/interface from where the query arrives.

However, for your need, I think just name based virtualhost would work
if you are just looking at hosting site. Why are you keen on resolving
the host names to specific IP addresses?

-- Mohan Sundaram