On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Suraj Kumar <su...@careergear.in> wrote:

> Not just India, world over, perl is not as widely used as, say, Java or
> Python because perl, for writing anything significant, requires mastery
> over the language's internals. Without experience and/or careful thought,
> one can completely ruin or make one's code horribly difficult to maintain
> if they don't know what they're doing with perl.

Correct. It requires heavy investment like UNIX. I agree.

> But that is fast changing - with Moose (and other emergent frameworks built
> on top of Moose (like Catalyst MVC framework)), perl is now an extremely
> fast paced environment.

I dunno why. I never liked Catalyst and I am sure I won't like Moose either.

I am just comfortable with plain old perl with the hand. I might be a
luddite. Well.

> At least in LUG, the perl knowledge seems woefully poor.
>>

> Perhaps because no such survey (we know of) has been conducted in ILUGC to
> conclude whether the knowledge is there or not ;)

Well good that i see one comment from you. So I take back my words. Ha ha.

>> Unlike shell scripts and makefile variables, perl always requires a
>> variable to be prefixed with one of
>>  $, @ or # before it.
>>

> "%" is used to prefix hash variables, not "#". But I can totally understand
> how that freudian slip happened :)

Sorry.

I have become very lazy and I was in a bad mood in the morning.

Anyway the # character is the comment character in perl, config files
and shell scripts. ;)

Thanks again for correcting me and helping the community. Much appreciated.
-Girish