> 1. Distros like Ubuntu run off testing branch, if you'd use something
> like Debian stable you'd have lesser updates.
>

> 2. A lot of updates you see are related to desktop software, which are
> mostly feature updates or small fixes rather than security fixes. The
> security fixes you receive are relatively lesser.

Yes, I agree.  My concern was I was expecting some thing at least one
firmware for a quarter.  This is because I use to get a paper along with my
ISP bill to have my router switched off while I am not using it as the
Modem is just like a mini PC which attacker can take over and start up
something which might end up on unsuspecting owners of the modem.

> 3. My little experience with embedded systems, which your routers
> would fall under, are much more tightly bound together than desktop
> distros so releasing updates for it is a relatively difficult task.

I have to accept I did not understand the point above.  Are you trying to
tell that the embedded system are much more secure than the Distros which
we are using ?

> 4. The companies producing these products are more of a hardware
> company than software. They have little to no incentive to keep
> providing regular software upgrades. They'd rather focus on quickly
> releasing new hardware in the market.

:-(

> If you combine all the 4 above reasons you'd see why it's uncommon to
> see regular software updates to your modems/routers.
> Think about how often do even smartphones receive security updates?
> Mostly what you'd see are feature upgrades.
>
> --
> With Regards,
> Mehul Ved

Regards,