Hi,

>  Long ago a Chennai based company in the usual arrogance I see
>  very often in India without any technical knowledge was telling
>  me that without certificates and VPN you cannot do remote support.

Arrogance is everywhere, nationality does not matter :-). People find
their own reasons to be arrogant. Some are arrogant because of their
own ignorance (and their stubborn will to remain so), and some are
arrogant to avoid being over-ridden by an ignorant.

>  And the other Indian attitude he showed was that he was not interested
>    in dealing with players like me with an international face.

What is so "Indian attitude" about it ? You can find folks with such an
attitude everywhere (ethnicity/nationality does not matter here). Haven't
you witnessed such irrational attitude in big
"name-your-not-so-favourite-brand" companies that are not Indian BTW ?

>  People in India refuse to give credit to other fellow Indians who are
>  globally competitive; in other words refusal to accept his defeat in
>  front of someone superior.

You fail to see the other-side of the coin my friend. It is people in
India who strive, struggle and fulfill their dream goals while fighting
against all odds that include intense competition, corruption,
oppression and subversion by their own fellow peers. I might signal too
patriotic here (which I am proud of being) while also being critical
about the environment we are surrounded in. But it is this very "People
in India" who believe in the "never give up" attitude of living.

In general, people in India have way too many problems and challenges
staring at them in their path to success that they have no time to worry
about who is superior and who is being defeated - these are normally the
traits of a few ignorant, selfish and deviant little-minded folks to whom
nationality does not matter. They can be found anywhere on earth and
cannot be grossly generalized as "People in India".

>  Anyway the point was that technically he was wrong on two accounts:
>
>  1) A certificate is not needed for VPN unless you use OpenVPN
>  2) He could have solved his problem using ssh port forwarding
>
>  I could have given him a much more scalable and stable solution using
>  IPsec.
>
>  But as I often see in India, people refuse to acknowledge the
>  greatness of somebody else.

There is no point trying to persuade the ignorant in acknowledging his
mistakes and accept your solution. It is better to save your energy for
your own good and move on :-)

>  Even in ILUGC In my tenure since 2006 August I am yet to find someone
>  who did not call my projects "a mere effort".

Your work (especially your contributions to the OpenBSD LiveUSB) and
your products are sincerely not "a mere effort" - they are indeed a
proof that "People in India" can accomplish great feat while being
surrounded by intense criticism. Your articles published on
Linux Journal and AP Lawrence have a professional touch with
technical excellence - I personally recommend many of your articles
to my students.

It is just that some of the best accomplishments take more to gain
popularity and mass acclaim. It took nearly 20 years for C programming
language to become so popular enough to replace Pascal in main-stream
computing. It took close to 20 years for Linux to become the most widely
used OS especially in pervasive computing environments (in the guise of
Android, Ubuntu, SmartTV, etc). It also took nearly 20 years for
A R Rahman to win an oscar award :-)

>  I thought I had found someone who was humble but I was sadly mistaken.
>
>  I still have hope.
>
>  Without humility nothing great can be achieved.
>
>  Basic thumb rule.

True. Focus on your goals, follow your ideals, do not worry about what
others think :-)

Cheers,
--
Chandrashekar Babu.