I got mine from the US, thanks to my mother travelling back. I got it
in 20 days in the US. Got a ModelB, wireless keyboard/mouse and a USB
wifi adapter.

My intent was to convert my HDTV into a Smart TV. My nephew all the
donkey's work of downloading the distributions, appropriate package
setc and did the set up. We loaded XBMC/ Rasbian+XBMC /OpenElec to try
how these work. Raspbian + XBMC gave some dependency errors and
rebooted twice. XBMC is good but OpenELEC seems a lot smoother and
responsive. XBMC also rebooted once as I was using it but OpenELEC was
stable.

The wifi dongle RTL8183cu based ran out of the box thanks to the
drivers included in all these distros. The board was powered from the
USB port of the TV and display using HDMI. We tried playing a HD movie
from the sdcard and it played flawlessly. We then tried streaming from
(a) Samba share (b) NFS share. Both resulted in buffering. Increasing
the buffer from 5MB to 150MB delayed the buffering but did not
eliminate it. Wired connections plays without buffering.

Problem area is the wifi. Research showed that the USB port current
draw for external devices is capped at 140mA by polyfuses. Many dongle
drop rates if not enough power is available.

Next steps:
a) Try a mains driven USB power to the R-Pi instead of a 500mA USB
power and see if the wifi dongle operates at higher speeds.
b) Use a powered USB hub for the dongle and see of speeds improve.

P.S: One big surprise I had was that the XBMC interface was operable
using my TV's remote thanks to HDMI's bidirectional control lines. I
also downloaded an Android app for XBMC control and it worked like a
charm.

-- Mohan Sundaram