Hi,

> I am confused as to why we use the *%* sign.  I know that if we need to run
> shell command we can press ESC + colon + exclamation + <shell command>.

*%* in ex mode in Vi/Vim editor refers to *all* lines.

*Ranges in Vi/Vim: *Type *:help range * in your Vi/Vim editor
*
*

   - In your case you could specify the range * :1,5!xxd*  executes
*!xxd*command from line 1 to line 5. or
   - you can do it on all lines by *:%!xxd *or
   -  you can specify *:.,$!xxd *which will execute the command from
   current line till the end of the file or
   - you can specify *:.,'c!xxd * if c is a mark made in your file, this
   command would execute from current line till the mark.

Regards
Vysakh