On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 23:58 +0530, Mohan R wrote:

> I did the same thing from my machine using firefox, both http and https
> urls works fine but for https I have to add certificate exception.

and the ssl certificate looks horrible.

* Server certificate:
*        subject: C=--; ST=SomeState; L=SomeCity; O=SomeOrganization;
OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit; CN=localhost.localdomain;
emailAddress=root@localhost.localdomain
*        start date: 2008-08-22 04:51:03 GMT
*        expire date: 2009-08-22 04:51:03 GMT
*        issuer: C=--; ST=SomeState; L=SomeCity; O=SomeOrganization;
OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit; CN=localhost.localdomain;
emailAddress=root@localhost.localdomain

It looked like childish when I see localhost.localadmin being used in a
reputed university's SSL certificate and not to mention, it got
expired!! I think they are using the default signatures created when
apache (mod_ssl) got installed in that server.

If anyone here knows annauniv's webadmins, please ask them to follow the
steps below to create a proper self signed ceritificate or ask them to
properly have a CA signed SSL certificate (Comodo CA charges 64$ per
year or ~4000/- INR, I don't think its a big money for Anna Univ).

$ openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key.withpassword 1024
Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus
.......................++++++
...........................++++++
e is 65537 (0x10001)
Enter pass phrase:[enter some password]
Verifying - Enter pass phrase:[enter same password again]

$ openssl rsa -in server.key.withpassword -out server.key
Enter pass phrase for server.key.withpassword:[type same password again]
writing RSA key

$ openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.crt.request
You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorporated
into your certificate request.
What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a
DN.
There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank
For some fields there will be a default value,
If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
-----
Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:IN
State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:TamilNadu
Locality Name (eg, city) []:Chennai
Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:Anna
University
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:Computer Science Department
Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name) []:webmaster
Email Address []:webmas...@annauniv.edu
Please enter the following 'extra' attributes
to be sent with your certificate request
A challenge password []: [leave blank]
An optional company name []: [leave blank]

$ openssl x509 -req -in server.crt.request -signkey server.key -days 365
-out server.crt
Signature ok
subject=/C=IN/ST=TamilNadu/L=Chennai/O=Anna University/OU=Computer
Science Department/CN=webmaster/emailAddress=webmas...@annauniv.edu
Getting Private key

$ openssl verify server.crt
server.crt: C = IN, ST = TamilNadu, L = Chennai, O = Anna University, OU
= Computer Science Department, CN = webmaster, emailAddress =
webmas...@annauniv.edu
error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
OK

$ sudo mv server.key server.crt /etc/ssl/apache

Finally ask the admins to add/modify following lines
in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf and restart apache server.

SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/apache/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/apache/server.key

Thanks,
Mohan R