On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Shrinivasan T <tshriniva...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yesterday, I gave a talk on "Introduction to Free Software"
> at FirstPlanet.in (opposite to LIC building, Mount Road, Chennai)
>
> Around 20 freshers attended the session.
>
> I explored the following stuff.
>
> GNU/Linux History
> Free Software Philosophies
> Ubuntu Linux Installation
> Partitioning tips
> Alternate applications
> Introduction to Commandline
> Installing applications
> Intro to ILUGC

+1 to your efforts for F/OSS. It's nice to know about the contents because
very soon I am going to address few young minds on F/OSS. But as of now I
have seen very low interest from students and teachers regarding F/OSS,
don't know why? Majority of the students just want to complete their degree
and teachers are really in a very bad condition (regarding new
technologies). I really feel bad when they advise students to run their C
code in Turbo C compiler, where are good teachers, who could help new and
young minds to explore new things. All engineering students just want to
get job in any MNC's (TCS, Infosys, et al).

I talked to many people regarding what they do when they face some problem
in their (office, school or college) network, they simply said that they
call those (dumb) computer engineer who don't know about anything REAL
computers (most of them use cracked or pirated softwares) which is very bad
for an enterprise. I advised them (here in my case: I advised my friend who
is working in a school as Computer Teacher) to make your own brigade of
Real Computer Engineers (because they have sources and resources), who
knows almost all nitty-gritty details about basic computers, networks,
client/server arch, information security and digital forensics so that next
time if you face any problem they can solve and get real experience) which
could help them in future for sure and there would not be any need to call
or assign those computer engineers who just make money out of nothing. I'm
still hoping for the BEST result.

> They are organising these kind of workshops/session regularly for fresher.

We are really in a need for these kind of sessions/workshops for freshers.

--
*Regards,
Sahil ModGill*