On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Sahil ModGill
<scorpionking.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I have few questions. Please share your experiences.
>
> * Is it mandatory for a job seeker to be proficient or aware from both
> flavors "Debian and Redhat" (apt-get and yum) or one flavor is sufficient
> to land up a job?

For a free lancer /consultant, the more distros you know the better,
it is definitely an edge over anyone who knows only *one* distribution
by means of a certification.   Also, do not ignore Novell SUSE (the CE
being openSUSE).   openSUSE is also RPM based but zypper is the
frontend akin to yum or aptitude.

> * If one is sufficient then which one gets the preference (debian or
> Redhat)?

Please see above.   It depends on the organization + hiring manager.
I look for breadth + some depth in each.  I have come across certified
blokes who were not aware of CentOS!

> * Does any linux certification play an important role in your job hunting
> journey?

Perhaps at the HR door step.   Certification is a **validation** that
you are competent in a specific product.    It should be pursued when
you have sufficient domain knowledge in that product.   Unfortunately,
most join institutes right after finishing college, join boot camps
and pass the cert. exam.  Most do not bother to keep their skill
current by practicing what they learnt.   Consequently, at job
interviews they come across as incompetent (at least most that I have
come across).

As a hiring manager, I don't care if the candidate got 100% pass rate
in the cert. exam.   I quiz them on how fast they can think on their
feet and arrive at a reasonable solution.

> * If any candidate doesn't have any certification but (s)he is good in *nix
> and its concepts (good means "almost" familiar with *nix internals) then
> what are the chances?

Extremely good, although it is hard to come across such individuals.
 For the past couple of years my model has been -- select a few
candidate who know little about the system but demonstrate a huge
potential (i.e. a quick learner) and start from scratch; this way I
don't have to deal with any baggage the candidate brings with him/her.
   On the experience side, successful project deployments, backed up
with references, is more important than a string of alphabets (certs)
after the name.

> * Also share that if you're a looking for a Linux System Engineer then
> which skills (Professional OR Personal) you want in a candidate?

Not sure what you mean by skill "professional or personal"   IMO, the
candidate must have both.   I would choose someone who knows quite a
bit but also knows how to share his/her knowledge and nurture junior
team members.

HTH
--
Arun Khan