---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Prasanna Venkadesh" <prasmai...@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 25, 2014 12:15 PM
Subject: [puduvailug] Dropbox Alternative
To: "puduvailug" <puduvai...@freelists.org>
Cc: "mailingl...@fsftn.org" <mailingl...@fsftn.org>, <
fsftn-villupu...@googlegroups.com>

We all know that RMS do not like the concept of cloud storage, since the
data is not in our hands once we submit to the cloud and so the control is.

Dropbox is one famous and popular File sync service that operates over the
cloud, where you can connect your Tablets / Smartphones / Laptops /
Desktops using dropbox account and so uploading a file to one of your
connected devices will automagically download the files to all the other
devices that are connected and synced with your dropbox account.

Here, the data you upload from your device is stored in dropbox cloud
servers and then the copy of that file is actually downloaded to your other
devices I hope.

At later point of time, BitTorrent came up with an idea of eliminating
Cloud storage as a middle man from this architecture and so they released a
client called BTSYNC or BitTorrent Sync which is pretty good that operates
over the poplular bittorrent peer to peer protocol. But again this BTSYNC
client is not Free of Open.

Here comes an Open / Free Software alternative (GPL v3) named ClearSkies
https://github.com/jewel/clearskies

I haven't tried it as of now. So use at your interest. I will post an
review once I try it out.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Prasanna Venkadesh.