On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Mohan Sundaram <mohan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Karthikeyan A K <77mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have enjoyed Cinnamon too. But my laptop has AMD Radeon graphics which
>> Mint for some reason could not work with (how I dream of a open
>> computer). So I had to use Ubunutu. Guess what next, after some updates
>> Unity broke and now am using Gnome which on top of Ubuntu fits not so good.
>
> Mint is a built on top of ubuntu. Find it odd that Radeon does not
> work on it if it does on ubuntu. Has nothing to do with desktop
> environment just drivers. Amongst graphics cards, Radeon has the best
> open source driver support. NVIDIA in comparison is lousy.
>
> Check the latest Phoronix site for 65 GPU models  and open source drivers.
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=massive_linux_gpus&num=1
>
> -- Mohan Sundaram

Hmm...Even I am bit surprised that your Gx card is not supported by
Mint. *Usually*, what works on Ubuntu works on Mint but Mint has its
own driver manager (_fork of Ubuntu's Jockey i guess_) ..You never
know!

Have you tried Mint 17 yet?

Or you can run Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu although there is no official
package. Even stable ppa available offered by glebihan is being
discontinued. :-(

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=167289 >> See here
for thread on Cinnamon stable PPA.

If you're adventurous, you could compile from git or run nightly
build. (I used to do that even on my regular machine ;-) )
--
Cheers,
Anand Radhakrishnan