On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM, arunkumar s <arunkumars.3...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for ur reply
> It is webbased app using apache
> On 16 Jun 2014 19:19, "Mohan Sundaram" <mohan....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM, arunkumar s <arun_le...@yahoo.co.in>
> > wrote:
> > > I am running one application on two servers,between servers i am doing
> > > replication of data now i need to configure one server as active and
> the
> > > other one as passive using ip address as failover
> > >
> > > I have only one option of configuring failover using ip and not have
> > option
> > > to do with DNS and other ways kindly help
> >
> > Assuming these are linux servers, you can do VRRP for ip failover in a
> > master slave (active-standby) configuration. However, I suspect this
> > alone may not be enough. What is your application? Web based? Suspect
> > it is as you are talking of DNS. Can you drop sessions?
> >
> > For web based applications, it would be better to use a load balancer
> > (like nginX) which will maintain sessions and will talk to servers
> > behind it configured in a active-standby configuration.

Also worth deploying would be http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ since
nginx only provides Layer-7 level fault tolerance / load balancing. This
way, you can have a more cleaner DNS setup (ie., one Virtual IP address for
your service being load balanced using LVS while there are multiple
physical machines). LVS would work for non-http applications too.

Also, if you're aiming to achieve awesome fault tolerance, you may want to
consider some sort of a GSLB (Global Server Load Balancing) so that if your
hosted site ("colo" or "data center") becomes unavailable, another hosted
site could take over.

Regards,

  -Suraj