So I finally gave up my old Sony Ericson P1i mobile and got myself (*a
Diwali gift from my bro actually*) a Jolla mobile (purchased online
through Snapdeal)....

Below are my top of the mind, first cut remarks on the phone -

True to its tagline, Jolla mobile is really unique and has clear,
consistent, well-thought out design giving all focus on user
experience. Admittedly, has a steep learning curve and needs some time
to get accustomed to the gesture based design. Fortunately and
thankfully, there is a tutorial installed by default and helps in
trying out the different gestures. However, once you get used to it,
you can multi-task without any hassles. Once you learn the ropes,
every task is really a swipe / flick / pull away. At first, i felt it
is complicated but then realized it is just new and since my old phone
is neither Android / iPhone, there is nothing much to unlearn. A crude
analogy would be akin to learning to change gears in bike for first
time, the mechanism seems confusing but with little practice we can
ride the bike without any conscious effort.

So far, have been able to install few social applications like
Whatsapp (Mitakuuluu is native Sailifsh app), Twitter (Tweetian), IRC,
and few utilities etc and they're running well. It is built on Qt
technology, so we can see lot of Qt applications ported over time to
Sailfish. It also support Android applications although it may not
have same native experience as Sailfish / Jolla apps. It supports
*.rpm format for packaging and the ecosystem is growing with Jolla
apps. I beleive, given Linux background, any issues faced could be
resolved and there is a friendly and knowledgeable community to
support usage. To quote couple of instances, 1. Smiley support was
missing and installing an emoji font set from repo solved it and 2.
*.avi files did not play the video due to codec licensing issues
involved and installing *.rpm codec repo fixed it magically. Am sure,
expereinced users will have lot more to gain.

Hardware Specs are not exactly high end but it is not resource hungry
(at least native apps). No complaints on battery life. It has not
crashed yet.

This post is just to trigger some interest and will try to share an
elaborate review after some regular usage. Have been using only for
less than a week, so experience is limited and hence must be taken
with a pinch of salt.

In case you are hearing above Jolla for the first time, Sailfish OS is
built on top of linux kernel and developed by team in Finland. I
believe, these people were ex-nokia employees who left Nokia after its
marriage with MS and decision to stop development of MeeGo project.
Phone costs 16.5k and ist actually much cheaper in India than
elsewhere possibly due to the market size. Am sure, you can find more
details on the web. :-)

tl;dr - Jolla is a smart phone in very sense, it expects it users to
be really smart! ;-) :-D

--
Cheers,
Anand Radhakrishnan