>Now what I can do - I cannot keep reading books to understand each bit
>of design / language for implementation.

There is no shortcut for writing the good code.
One need to keep reading books, keep coding.
Unless one read how he/she will know whats good or bad code is.

Some programmers will really have good logic programming, and for remaining
they need develop within them.

also one can write good code if his/her knowledge on os internals, language
(c in case of kernel programming) , processor architecture, algorithms.
having this knowledge one can understand how code will translated to
machine language, how its will get executed etc.

so my suggestion keep reading , keep coding!!! Your code quality will
definitely improve. remember that there are always more than one way to
write certain logic.