On squid 2.4 and 3.0 head authentication is classified into auth type
and auth mechenism .

There is basic_auth, ntlm, digest

Now lets say I want to use basic_auth and authenticate user via pam_auth
i would write in config.

auth_param basic program /usr/sbin/pam_auth
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

I have'nt tested this config. I am speculating. But this *should* work

Supreet