On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 12:26, D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Atleast the X Server has started now. Yes, the OS
> is RHL 9, the problem seemed to be with the monitor
> settings. But still, the maximum is 800x600, so
> still some work is left.
>
> BTW, has anyone used RHL 9 with Gigabyte KM266
> Chipset motherboard, with S3 ProSavage DDR. I
> recently upgraded my home machine and need to know
> if RHL 9 supports it. I couldn't get RHL 7.2 to
> start the X Server on it.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Venky

Hi,

I have an S3 ProSavage KM133 on a via chipset and it works beautifully
with the savage driver in XFree86. I could even get it to go upto
1280x1024 resolution after tweaking aroung a bit with the monitor
configuration. The monitor I had was not standard so although it was
meant to do quite a lot but it was reporting its capability s only
1024x768. As to S3 ProSavage DDR never had it dont know whether it will
work. Though it was not listed in the card list which comes up in the
redhat-config-xfree86.

If you really want higher resolution you can try the fbdev driver on RHL
9 on the i845 although with this I think you have to pass the vga=xxx
parameter to the kernel for this to work. Currently I am using vga=791
and I also think this supports a max of 16 bpp and wont run under 24 bpp
so you will have to change this also in your XF86Config.

bye,

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be filled
but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739