please don't divorce win doze,
or marry gnuLinux.

the intelligence of the mind always creates divisions.
the intelligence of the heart unites.

use both, and go beyond both.
become platform-agnostic.

here are seven steps to samadhi:

1) install freedombased software for yourself under win doze:
        a) openoffice (m$ head-on collider)
        b) mozilla (web browser and email)

get familiar with these.

2) uninstall m$ office.

3) dual-boot your pc into win doze and gnu linux.

4) use openoffice, mozilla, and other software under both. share your win
hard disk partitions under gnulinux, and vice versa.

5) after you get familiar with gnu linux,

6) format your win partition.

7) infect the machines of your colleagues, and your friends, with the
freedombased software for win doze.

so to start, get hold of the gnuwinII cd, available from some people on this
mailing list, and install the software under windoze.

you can also look for, and install monkeylinux or dragonlinux under windoze.
this allows you to "boot into linux while under windows, from the start menu"
so it helps you get familiar.

you can also use knoppix that boots into linux from a cdrom. but nothing like
having gnulinux on your machine somewhere.

and please, before posting any questions on the mailing list, do get hold of
a basic book on gnulinux ( i recommend peter norton's book) but pick what you
like. and do check out tldp.org

and do attend the monthly gnulinux meets we hold at linux delhi.

[by the way: it is usually not a good idea to post your physical address,
especially mobile number, etc, to the mailing list. this is because the mails
get auto archived on the website, and we have noticed mail and other bots
sniffing and trawling for email ids and contact details.

do take care of your privacy. even though its a losing battle.

finally, welcome aboard the gnulinux caravan. invite your friends.

:-)
LL