On Monday, July 21, 2003 3:06 AM [GMT+0800],
LinuxLingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> linux-delhi is pathetic.

True.  Perhaps.

> unlike the rest of linux user groups in india,
> we are in the captial of the country.

 !stumped!  This is true, of course, but ...

> more importantly, we have been invited to hold our meetings in the
> conference room of the ministry of communications, information, and
> technology. we are usually full of fire and brimstone with our
> convictions.

That is your problem.

I have said for 15 years, and will say again.  I do NOT like enthusiastic
people in my team.

People with convictions and enthusiasm are great workers, till they discover
a new passion.  Then they disappear.  People who hated the job stay on and
complete the project, for the same reasons they joined, which are more
prosaic and stable.

> despite all this,
> only six to seven showed up for this month's ilug-d meet, from our
> nearly 2,000 people in the mailing list.

What would you have done with 20 people that you could not do with 7?  What
are you planning to do with ILUG-D anyway?

We are having a similar "identity crisis" in LUG Singapore.  Why should
people join?  Why should they turn up for meets?

We have not been able to define the first (2 years ago, we cut membership
from S$60 to S$10.  No increase in membership.  This year we raised it back
again.  No fall in membership figures).  Members get nothing for paying up,
except the right to attend meetings.  Non-members are welcome at meetings,
anyway.  We have 50 members.  The mailing list is free, as are the web
forums.

People turn up at meetings becuase of the high technical content; we have
had speakers recently from the IBM Linux centre in Australia, HP, JBoss,
etc.

> wretched support.

Again, LL, support for "what"?  If we are not sure where we want to go, how
do we know we are not already there?

> what happened to dhruv, pankaj, supreet, sandip bhattacharya, vivek,
> hemant saraf, ashwin baindur, alolita, amit goel, ghane, ravi, ajay,
> prakash, pawan, ravi, tarun dua, amitabh, everybody else who has been
> regularly attending the meets, and the lurkers on the list?

Pass.

> i suppose this goes to show two things:
>
> linux-delhi is falling apart.

No, ILUG-D will linger on, as new people join with an anti-MS spirit, have
enthusiasm for 3 months, and then discover that saving the whales is cooler,
or FreeBSD is geekier.  The "core group" will be half-a-dozen guys, who will
continue to meet under the name of "ILUG-D" because their old friends are
also in the group; and "I am off for the Linux meet" sounds better to Mrs
Mathur than "I am going for a beer with LL & Kishore".

Really.  Groups are defined but what they are, not what they are named.

--
Sanjeev