"during the process of installation!" could you please elaborate?
is it during hard disk recognition? monitor recognition? sound/graphics
card????

i have heard about problems with LiFy distributions, although knoppix
should have worked fine. please if possible do try another distribution.
the next meet is up on 24th (i think!) do ask someone for a distribution
you dont have and give that a try. i can only "lend" you my cds if need
be...

you can quite easily run linux from another partition, and frankly that
is the preferred way to work, although that involves partitioning your
existing partition into two or more... if you are comfortable. good. the
installation generally has software and provisions to do it.. you just
need to have the courage to say yes!! ;) just kidding... but yes,
partitioning is the best way to go about it (stability wise).

rbs