[Honest... Gill Bates is the source of this figure! -- Raju]

Magic Number: 30 Billion
By John C. Dvorak
August 4, 2003

So what actually happens when your Windows XP machine crashes and asks
if you want to send a report? The reports obviously accumulate in some
database, and I can only assume that when one bin piles up with
similar crash memos, the coders get to work. Exactly how many
notifications does Microsoft get? Nobody knows for sure, but based on
comments Bill Gates made at a recent meeting for analysts, the number
must be astronomical.

Gates said that 5 percent of Windows machines crash, on average, twice
daily. Put another way, this means that 10 percent of Windows machines
crash every day, or any given machine will crash about three times a
month. Since Bill is a math junkie, I have to assume this number is
real and based on something other than a phone survey. Those reports
seem like the obvious source.

Full article at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1210067,00.asp

-- Raju
--