On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:19:37AM +0530, D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida wrote:
D.Venkatasubramanian,>BTW, read this thread :
D.Venkatasubramanian,>
D.Venkatasubramanian,>http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-07/msg01564.html
D.Venkatasubramanian,>
D.Venkatasubramanian,>This was discussed a lot in the GCC community and most
developers did
D.Venkatasubramanian,>not seem to favor deprecating SCO support.
D.Venkatasubramanian,>
D.Venkatasubramanian,>As of now, it does not seem that GCC is pulling the plug on SCO
D.Venkatasubramanian,>support.

        I know what you mean and I did read the thread as well as the
        slashdot discussion around it. when I said "gcc is pulling the
        plug" it should have been "gcc is thinking about pulling the plug"
        but I realized the error only after I had sent the mail.

        I support gcc's decision to deprecate SCO support. it would mean
        that people who buy SCO will now not have a free compiler which would mean
        they would think about not buying SCO but what half-brain would think about
        buying SCO anyways? or had bought sco in the last 4 years?

        Dropping SCO support forces current SCO users to migrate to another OS,
        or SCO to develop gcc both of which are good for the Free software community.

        But many people do run SCO. not because they want to but because
        they have proprietary solutions built on top of it that work
        and they dont want to mess with it. pulling SCO support would
        hurt these people more then SCO.

        But as FSF as an organisation takes a stand on freedom rather
        then software development this step would seem a bit hollow and
        make FSF look bad. In the true spirit of free software GCC should
        keep developing on SCO as well.

        I believe SCO knows that SCO unix has no future and they are using
        unixware as it can be used best (to make softballs or at times hardballs
        with it and throw at whoever comes around) at this time it being IBM.

        On the slashdot discussion however a gcc developer came under fire.
>SCO maintains GCC on their platforms (Score:5, Informative)
>by Bananenrepublik (49759) on Tuesday August 12, @09:49AM (#6674652)
>If you look at GCC's MAINTAINERS file you will see that SCO's
>Kean Johnston is the OS port maintainer for SCO's platforms. If
>you search through gcc-patches, you will see that he still is
>actively contributing, using his @sco.com address. So they seem
>to allow this to happen.

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/12/128223.shtml?tid=117&tid=187&tid=88&tid=99

- --
all the things we keep inside,
are the things that really matter,
the face puts on its best disguise,
and all is well, until the heart betrays.