Hi,

I am a little new to Linux and don't know much of it in details, so I am doing as
instructed.

I have tried the same with Red Hat 9.0 and installed all the packages and everything.
But it seems that the problem does not get resolved easily, as I am getting the same
problem of the 1. Ipchains: Incompatible with this Kernel and 2. Ipchains: Protocol is
not available

I have installed the Red Hat 9 version, which I got it in the DIGIT Aug 2003 magazine.

I did exactly as under.

Please go through it and tell me where did I go wrong.

>>Start of Message<<

Shailesh,

Try this.

1. Take two Ethernet cards (though u can do with one also, but for security purposes)

2. Put on eth0 your local network - lets say 192.168.1.* lets say - 192.168.1.1 (rest
of your windoze cud be on 192.168.1.*)

3. Put on your eth1 for isp. Now if the isp gives permanent ip address, great,
configure your eth1 for the same, if not, configure your eth1 to pick address
dynamically. route add gw <yr isp gw> eth1

   3.a. If your eth1 is dynamic, then you will need to execute a script that
automatically runs the route add command everytime it is brought up

4. to run name server, simply install bind, bindutils, caching-name server rpms (i
would strongly recommend to upgrade to rh 9.0 since the original 7.2 has security
punctured bind).

5. I assume you will need to run proxy, Install all rpms of squid on the server.For
access control use squidguard.

6.In addition to this, if you would want internal systems to connect directly to the
net, using your linux box as gw.
   6.a - to all machines on your lan make add the gateway as 192.168.1.1(ip of yr
linux box)

   6.b - in all your machines on your lan, make the dns as 192.168.1.1(ip of yr linux
box)

   6.c A simple and correct method would be to run the linux box as dhcp server (on
eth0) and boot all windoze from this - so that the above config is not required on
client side.
  6.d. execute -  echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward  (this will allow your
linux box to masq)

  6.e. Now you need to add rules so that your internal users can go outside ( i am
assuming u r going to use ipchains in 7.2)
ipchains -F (flush)
ipchains -X (remove rules)
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -j MASQ  (Allow
all source 192.168.1.0 to talk to any outside 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0)

You can ofcourse add more filters as you go along.

Thats it - you are on.

7. If you need people from outside to come into your network (gosh! Cant be dumber
than this) u will need to add rules in reverse direction.

8. Use webmin, to configure above, it will make your life so much more simpler.

regards,
alok sinha