hi all,

I want to create a linux based automation software for our office. This will consist
of:
1. linux based server daemon
2. Client software for multiple OS(including linux, win, & Mac)

I want to create a simple linux based server program, which listen for requests on
network, and on receiving one authenticates it with MySQL(or /etc/passwd), and then
processing the request, like fetching the data from the database and sending back the
result( raw text or binary data like graphs).
Above is the basic outline of the server.

It needs to communicate with the client over a secure protocal.

This should be simple enough, so that clients can be easily written for multiple
platforms.

Can anyone help me out in designing the basic secure interaction & authentication part
of the two components.

Thanks in advance
Tanmay
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup