Hi Naba,
I was'nt actually expected the creator of Anjuta to write back ... really
nice to hear from you.
I know this is'nt the right place to discuss this but well I basically
wanted to know the general opinion about kdevelop/Anjuta and both missing
this feature so i posted here ...

> First is that you will literally require a 'compiler' running in
> parallel, which is much 'smarter' than your regular compiler, since it
> won't be getting any sensible code most of the time.
>
> Second is the editor is overloaded with runtime parsing (eg, syntax
> highlighting, autocompletion, calltips etc.) and putting the incremental
> symbol parser right next to them would crawl the editor.
>
> Third is the parser used in Tagmanager (in Anjuta) doesn't support
> incremental parsing and would require complete re-implementation of all
> the parsers.

Yes, I realised that when i saw the Anjuta code.

> Normally, saving the file is all that's required to updated the symbol
> list. You do not need to refresh it again explicitly.

No, it was'nt working when i tried. I had to right click the symbol list and
select refresh from there.

> I am interested in how you did that. Are you refreshing symbol database
> every time you press Enter? That won't sound like an incremental update,
> nor would it be very pleasant to edit under such load.

Yes, I am basically refreshing every time I press Enter and it is not
perfect but as I said I was just trying to see why it was'nt possible. I
know my solution is really bad and I have since recompiled the *original*
Anjuta code with the normal symbol list and am using that only and not my
modified one.

> That's the catch 'Proper implemenation'. Please visit old emails in
> anjuta-devel mailing list archive if you want to know more about it. You
> are also welcome to discuss this further in anjuta-devel mailing list.

Yeah, as i said, i realised that it won't be easy, but its a nifty little
feature and would be really useful.
So that means that this feature won't be easy to implement as long as
tagmanger does'nt do it. This is one feature in MSVC which i like :(.
I am currently searching the list archives for older discussions on the
matter (sourceforge search facilities suck !!)
Btw, Anjuta is great and I am still using it.

regards
Sharninder