I am looking for a cheap and reliable hosting solution for a company. I
am not really sure as to what my options are. My requirements being
capability to host a small website and have a couple of email addresses
associated with it. Technology wise apache, mysql, perl (preferably
5.6.1 or higher) is all I need.

I am assuming a dedicated server is going to be way too expensive for
my requirements.

I am looking to understand how exactly do the share server offerings
work - what kind of pittfalls should I be aware of ? What would I be
missing compared to a dedicated server ?

It would be great if any recommended service provider's names can be
put forward.

Mithun