We have a customer application on oracle.

They want to crate a "small footprint" version of it to be sold at a cheaper
price.

I want to suggest that Postgres could be the right choice of database for
that as it is close to oracle in its sql syntax and hence porting should be
simpler.

Can anybody guide me on what kind of pitfalls we could run into by choosing
Postgres. The database is not very large but is much larger than what goes
for "database" in mysql discussions (about 1 GB of data, 100 tables with
about 10-50 MB added every day)?

In particular, I would be interested in hearing from people who have run
moderately large databases on postgres and how fast they found it.

I have heard that it is possible to now provide replication and fail over
with postgres. Has anybody tried it?

Tarun