hi,

today i suddenly found to my surprise, that according to the internet
usage website (used by the local cable guy), a few days back my internet
usage was 460 Mb, and today its about 4588 Mb!!!

1. someone hacked in, got a **lot** of data out... (but i doubt that,
since the intranet (bus topology) transfers are not logged in this
accounting... and the total bandwidth the cable internet guy has is
about 512Kb/s.

Math:
4000MB = 4000,000Kb/64KB/s =  17 Hrs...
well its almost impossible considering that no one could have possibly
used the bandwidth to transfer my data out...
but yes, its possible...

2. secondly, the accounting package is grossly misinformed (which i
doubt again, since its been running quite well for a few months now...).

Question: any way to check how much data went out / in through network?
(listings in /proc/net didnt show any relevant data, or maybe i missed
them...)

Note: trivial checks /var/log/secure showed ssh logins only via local
network (but ofcourse they could be altered...)

any other ideas?

affly
robins